Diana Nyad Inspires Young Swimmers
After Diana Nyad's inspiring story TV20 asked some young swimmers how she has inspired them.
A few members of the "High Tide Aquatics" swimming team said she was not just brave, but encouraged them to never give up.
Here's what they had to say…
"It's incredible to do it first of all, but when you're of that age I think it's even more amazing and it just proves that if it's something you really want to do, you can do it," said 17 year-old Ailin McCullough.
"By doing that much, it's pretty incredible… and to do that amount of training to go that far, I know of the sacrifices you have to make," said 17 year-old Wesley Olmsted
"Most things it's alway's 'first woman' but in this it was 'first person' so that's inspiring… saying that a woman did something first instead of just men doing it," said 15 year-old Meera Srinivasan.
The High Tide Aquatics team trains eight times a week.
The young men and women have plans to swim in college… and maybe even professionally.
- Fishing With Dad
- George P. Bush Makes a Stop in Gainesville, Encouraging Young Voters to Get to the Polls
- Young Marines of Gainesville
- Gainesville Man, 35, Accused Of Having Sex With Young Boy
- Rip Tide Rescues
- Red Tide Alert
- Nyad Defends Herself to Skeptics of Cuba-Fla. Swim
- Registering High Schoolers to Vote at Gainesville High School
- Mandela Mourned as Inspiration in Many Struggles
- Inspirational Dancer Battling Sjogren's Syndrome