Homes without Smoke Detectors Come Under Fire
Published September 5th, 2013
It's required by Florida law for rental properties to have smoke detectors but two homes in Alachua County went without detection when they needed it the most.
Both kitchen fires left hardly any damage.
The home where this morning's kitchen fire happened on N.E. 23rd Ave. didn't even have a smoke detector installed but the residence at N.E. 20th Street on Sunday had one.
The tenant previously removed it because it kept beeping.
Fire rescue officals say a smoke detector is an essential to every property.
"We feel it's a very important thing to have in your home and we encourage you to take the personal responsibility in making sure you have working smoke detectors."
Firefighters installed new smoke detectors in both homes.
If you can't afford a smoke detector, you can apply for Project Get Alarm with Gainesville Fire Rescue.
If you quailfy, they will provide you with a brand new smoke detector and come out to your house and install it for free.
For your reference, here's a look at the Florida Statues for smoke detectors in rentals:
- Fire Safety Comes to the Forefront of Attention
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Without Generators, But Will Have Them In The Future
- Silver Springs Now Under State's Wing
- Fire Rescue Budget Under Fire
- Talking Smoke Detectors
- A Barn Fire Leaves Family Without a Home
- Two Marion County Sheriff's Officials Come Under Fire After Internal Investigations
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Investigating Second Recent Fire in Apartment
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Educates Residents On Fire Assessment Fees
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Responds to Two Fires at Same Location