Marion County Certified Substitutes Get Pay Raise
After several rough months for Marion County schools, the school board has approved a $456- million budget.
In May about 260 employees were laid off, but soon after 100 certified substitute teachers were hired.
Those certified substitutes will be paid a bit more this school year. They will be getting about a third more than originally planned.
Tuesday's board meeting vote raises the pay of up to 100 certified substitute teachers to $134 per day, which is a little over $25,000 a year.
Those certified substitute teachers will also get health insurance.
This pay raise will cost the board about $1 million.
The district was able to fund this pay raise by taking money from the emergency fund.
"I think people need to realize that we are continuing to cut into the reserve funds. If we have a roof collapse at a school or we have some kind of strong structural problem with a building I am not sure that we are going to have money in the reserves to take care of that anymore," said Marion County School District Public Relations Officer Kevin Christian.
You may remember the board recently considered cutting supplemental pay to up to 30 percent for coaches, band directors, club sponsors and others.
During Tuesday's meeting the district voted to maintain those individuals supplemental pay at the same rate as last year.
The board voted 4 to 1 with member Angie Boynton voting against the budget.
Christian said Boynton voted against the budget because she felt all employees deserved a raise.
- "Certified Substitutes" Can't Replace Full-time Teachers
- Alachua County School Board Tentative Budget
- Marion County Teachers Will Soon Get Pay Increase
- Alachua County School Bus Drivers Get Small Pay
- Marion County School Board Elections
- Marion County School Board seeks help after storage unit vandalized, items ruined
- Marion County School Budget Woes
- Marion County School Budget
- School board & city to come up with stormwater plan in lieu of paying fees
- School Board Holds Budget Workshop