Miss Florida Represents The Gator Nation, Two Years In A Row
GAINESVILLE - The new Miss America will be crowned in Atlantic City but many Gainesville residents are tuning in because for a second year in a row Miss Florida comes from the Gator nation. The Gainesville community is cheering on this year's contestant, who's coming back despite a serious setback during her performance.
A University of Florida telecommunications senior is competing for the Miss America crown, after being injured during the talent competition earlier this week. Myrrhanda Jones hurt her knee during a rehearsal and tore both her anterior and medial collateral ligaments. However that did not stop her from finishing her act.
Jones went on stage with a leg brace and baton on hand, for Thursdays preliminary competition and left with the night's top honor for a talent performance. Gainesville supporters are gathering tonight for a watch-party to root her on.
Jeanne Rochford a family friend hosting the watch party said, "She is so strong and determined. We were just so heart broken when we had heard that this had happened because this is something that she has waited for so long and she had a really good chance."
Jones started an organization called, Comfort For Kids, Inc. When she was 12 she lost her 6-year-old sister in an accident. Today, she's giving kids in need a monkey for comfort, as that was her younger siblings favorite toy.
Jones is a graduate of Buchholz High School and was Miss Gainesville in 2011. The new Miss America will be crowned Sunday night at 9pm on WCJB TV20.
- Missing UF Student's Family, Not Giving Up
- Two Aboard Small Banner Plane Injured During Crash At UF
- Should College Athletes Get Paid? Former Gator Players Weigh In
- 100 Years of UF Bands
- Possible Closure For The Aguilar Family
- Gators VS Huskies, Fan Reaction
- Heightened Awareness At The Swamp, Following Boston Marathon Bombing
- UF Receives Grant To Digitize Historic Newspapers
- Religion & Politics
- Florida National Guard's 100th Deployment Ceremony Since September 11