Starke Man Injured in Motorcycle Crash
Published September 15th, 2013
STARKE, Fla. -- A Bradford county man was taken to the hospital Saturday night after a crash left him in serious condition.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol crash report, 43-year-old Mark Turgeon was riding his 2006 Buell motorcycle south on State Road 16 at North West 182nd Way in Starke, when a car stopped in the opposite lane turned left in front of him. 67-year-old Lorraine Smith attempted to turn onto NW 182nd Way in front of Turgeon, and the motorcycle collided with the right side of her car. Turgeon was thrown from his motorcycle and landed in the northbound lane of SR 16.
Shortly afterwards, a dark colored SUV driving South on SR 16 came upon the crash site where other drivers had stopped to help. FHP reports the unknown driver of the SUV slowed down and tried to "weave his or her way through" the crash scene, hitting Turgeon who was still in the road from the initial crash.
The driver of the SUV did not stop and left the scene before authorities arrived, continuing South on SR 16.
Turgeon was taken to UF Health in Gainesville in serious condition; Smith was not injured.
Charges could be filed pending an investigation.
- 2 killed, 6 Injured in Interstate 75 Crash
- Metal From Passing Truck Injures Local Man
- Two Injured in Hit and Run Boat Crash on Lake Lanier
- 2 Dead, 6 Injured in 6-vehicle Panhandle Crash
- Micanopy Man Dies In Early Morning Crash
- Starke Man Dies After Losing Control Of His Motorcycle
- Convicted Killer Set for Execution at Starke
- Mold Outbreak Closes Starke Elementary
- Motorcycle Crash Seriously Injures Two in Suwannee County
- Fla. Toddler Injured After Falling from ATV