Alachua City Commissioners Explore Biomass Options
Published October 8th, 2013
ALACHUA COUNTY -- After requesting help from numerous agencies -- including GREC itself -- residents of the Turkey Creek community in Alachua say they felt as if they had no other choice Monday but to ask the Alachua City Commission to file suit on their behalf to stop noise coming from Gainesville's new biomass plant.
After taking their complaints to nearly every agency possible, residents expressed their frustration at the fact that nothing has changed and the noise persists.
Turkey Creek resident Larry Noegel is one of the residents leading the charge, and on Monday asked commissioners to file a suit against GREC on their behalf.
"After 7 weeks of pure hell, we need our public servants to give us some rescue," said Noegel. "We are asking the Alachua [City] Commission, on behalf of your citizens, to enter into a nuisance lawsuit," said Noegel.
In the end, Alachua City Commissioners adjourned without taking any formal action citing concerns over rushing into legal action too quickly.
Meanwhile, the Gainesville City Commission spent another long meeting discussing the possibility of actually buying the biomass plant. They voted 5-to-2 to direct staff to prepare an offer to purchase the plant -- that offer is expected to be reviewed at their Oct. 17 commission meeting.
- Turkey Creek Residents Take Biomass Noise Concerns to Alachua City Commission
- Commissioners Debate Whether to Purchase Biomass Plant
- Alachua County Employees Say Biomass Plant Is Negatively Affecting Their Health
- Alachua County Commissioners Formally Discuss Plans for New Biomass Plant
- Gainesville City Commission Rejects GREC Settlement, Awaits Arbitration Decision
- Gainesville City Leaders Discuss Ownership of Possible Bio-Mass Power Plant
- As Residents Complain of Biomass Smell, Plant Officials Say It's Only Temporary
- Biomass Plant Final Air Permit Concerns Voiced at Meeting
- Local company files lawsuit against Biomass Plant operators
- Biomass Concerns Dominate Candidate Forum for Gainesville City Commission