Arbor House reopens under direction of St. Francis House
Published October 15th, 2013
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- The doors of a refuge for women and children are open once again, but the Arbor House is turning to the public to keep them open.
The transitional living facility for women and children closed in March because of financial struggles.
Now under the direction of the St. Francis House, they've reopened.
From 5 to 7 Tuesday, St. Francis is hosting an open house at the home on Northwest 6th Street in Gainesville, where potential donors can learn more about the 30 bed facility.
St. Francis House purchased the property, valued at nearly $300,000, for $50,000. Executive Director Kent Vann believes the home will cost about $200,000 dollars a year to operate.
They're in the process of applying for grants, but he says private donors and house residents are also going to contribute.
"The women that are living in here they have to pay up to 30% of their income, they sign a lease," Vann says, "so it's more of a rental property, but with that you get utilities, case management, everything that's involved, so I think that's going to be part of helping financially."
St. Francis House has upgraded security on the property to improve safety for its residents.
In addition to safer landscaping and improved lighitng, Vann says they will provide 24 hour staff and video surveillance. He says donations and volunteer hours are always needed.
For more information on the Arbor House, visit: http://stfrancishousegnv.org/
- Lunch Is Served: Saint Francis House Under a New Meal Rule
- St. Francis House Breaking the Law for Humanity
- Statue Vandalized at St. Francis House
- St. Francis House Ready For Thanksgiving Meal Thanks to Community
- St. Francis House Expands Clearance Requirement
- St. Francis House turns people away
- Downtown March Calls For More Meals at St. Francis House
- St. Francis House Receives Donation from Citgo
- St. Francis House Unable To Feed More than 130 People
- City Offers St. Francis House Location for Thanksgiving Meals