Nations Park in Newberry Could Be Changing Hands
NEWEBERRY - Nations Park in Newberry could be in for a change to attract more people to the area.
The Newberry City Manager says the park isn't making the gains they would have liked...and because of delays in construction... not as many teams played as they had anticipated.
A new plan is in the works that requires contracts from several groups and also approval from both commissions.
If approved, the park would be in the hands of the Gainesville Sports Commission, a group designed to bring sports tourism to the area...necessary to get people into the park.
Keith Ashby, Newberry City Manager: "For the coach who is putting together a team in North Dakota the first person he's got to convince is that mother of that boy or that girl to travel to Newberry, Florida. The mother may say that sounds like a great idea but I don't just want sit in Newberry for three days...what else is there to do?"
The plan has been in the works for a couple months and the city manager says he hopes to put the new idea before the commissions for approval before the holiday season so the park has enough time to recruit teams for the upcoming year.
Some of the new ideas include packages to Disney World, Cedar Key, and the springs.
- New Baseball Park In Newberry
- Two Amendments Could Change Florida's Political Landscape
- Newberry's Nations Park Wants "Wow Factor"
- Enhancements for Newberry's "Nations Park"
- Newberry's Nations Park Behind Schedule
- Gainesville Woman Wants Changes to County Dog Parks
- Changes To Poe Springs Park
- Number of 'F' Schools Could Surge Under Changes
- Solar Flare Could Impact Electrical, Communications Systems
- Lenders Warn a Long Government Shutdown Could Delay Mortgage Loans