Ocala City Elections Tomorrow
While some voters are looking ahead to next november's statewide elections, voters in Ocala will go to the polls tomorrow October 15, 2013.
Three city council seats are up for grabs as well as five amendments to the city's charter.
One of the five referendums voters will see on the ballot tomorrow is regarding runoff elections.
Currently, a runoff election is required if no candidate received majority of votes in a general or special election, Which means the two candidates who received the most votes in the election would face each other in a run off.
The proposed amendment would eliminate the run off election after a special election.
Pamela Calero with the city of Ocala said there are a couple of reasons why city council proposed eiliminating run offs in special elections.
"One is cost. It cost about $50,000 to enact those run off elections. Secondly, time. Once we've elected council, if there needs to be a run off election it takes about six months from the last time we had to do it to have someone else come into place," said Calero who is the Public Communications Coordinator with the city of Ocala.
If passed, run offs would be eliminated and the winner of the special election will be elected.
Voters tomorrow will also be voting for two city council seats.
Incumbent Suzy Heinbockel is up against Brent Malever for the City Council District one seat.
Aaron Fiehn and Jay Musleh are running for City Council District three.
James Hilty Sr. is running unopposed for City Council District five and Mayor Kent Guinn is also running unopposed.
Tomorrow the polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m.
Residents should check their address before going to the polls tomorrow because only those who live in city limits will be eligible to vote.
- New Charter Amendment on Mayoral Elections' Ballot
- Poe vs. Skop- City Commission Run-Off Election Tuesday
- City of Gainesville's runoff election starts tomorrow
- Ocala's election results are in
- City Council Discusses, Rejects Downtown Hotel in Ocala
- Early Voting For Run-Off Election
- District 1 to have run-off election
- Voter turnout raises questions for at-large run-off election
- Bogart wins Bronson council member seat
- Ocala City Elections Results