Woman Charged With Child Neglect, Passes Out With Toddler In Car
A North Central Florida woman is facing charges of child neglect.
According to Ocala police officers, a Kangaroo gas station employee saw a woman sleeping inside a car late Wednesday night. The driver side door was open.
The employee then noticed a toddler in the backseat of the car. This prompted the employee to go outside and try to wake up the driver, 23-year-old Philomena Melton.
Melton woke up and said she was ok, but then passed out again. That's when the employee called 911.
Police arrived and approached the car, which is when they noticed something was amiss.
"They immediately saw in plain view a green leafy substance." said Angy Scroble, spokeswoman for the Ocala Police Department. "The child was in the car. The car was unsecured and as I said they had difficulties getting her to wake up and respond."
Melton is charged with child neglect and possession of synthetic drugs. The child is now with her father.
- Gainesville Woman Facing Child Neglect Charges
- Ocala Woman Faces Child Neglect Charges
- Intoxicated Parents Arrested, Face Child Neglect Charges
- Woman arrested on neglect charges
- Woman Charged With Child Abuse, After Suffocating 2-Month-Old Baby
- Woman Receives DUI Charge After Hitting An Unmarked Police Car
- Miami Woman Charged In Connection To Toddler Daycare Drowning Death
- Gainesville Man Accused of Child Neglect
- Three Arrested for Child Neglect in Lake City
- Son Faces Neglect Charges After Mother Found Dead