Woman Charged With Child Neglect, Passes Out With Toddler In Car
A North Central Florida woman is facing charges of child neglect.
According to Ocala police officers, a Kangaroo gas station employee saw a woman sleeping inside a car late Wednesday night. The driver side door was open.
The employee then noticed a toddler in the backseat of the car. This prompted the employee to go outside and try to wake up the driver, 23-year-old Philomena Melton.
Melton woke up and said she was ok, but then passed out again. That's when the employee called 911.
Police arrived and approached the car, which is when they noticed something was amiss.
"They immediately saw in plain view a green leafy substance." said Angy Scroble, spokeswoman for the Ocala Police Department. "The child was in the car. The car was unsecured and as I said they had difficulties getting her to wake up and respond."
Melton is charged with child neglect and possession of synthetic drugs. The child is now with her father.
- Ocala Woman Faces Child Neglect Charges
- Gainesville Woman Facing Child Neglect Charges
- Intoxicated Parents Arrested, Face Child Neglect Charges
- Woman arrested on neglect charges
- Miami Woman Charged In Connection To Toddler Daycare Drowning Death
- Woman Receives DUI Charge After Hitting An Unmarked Police Car
- Gainesville Man Accused of Child Neglect
- Two Men Charged with Abusing, Neglecting Their Mother
- Mother Leaves Kids Home Alone, Faces Felony Neglect Charges
- Charges Dropped in Gainesville Toddler's Death