Former Congressman Remembers JFK
Published November 24th, 2013
It's not every day you can sit down to dinner with the president.
On this 50 year anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy, some people in North Central Florida are remembering the time JFK visited the University of Florida before he became president.
Former Congressman Don Fuqua was at the Florida Blue Key banquet JFK spoke at and he reminisces, "I became interested because he was a young man and I was a young man and I was getting ready to run for the State Legislature, I was a senior at the university at the time but he made a very inspiring speech and it inspired me about getting into politics."
Fuqua went from the Florida State Legislature to Washington where he worked with JFK. Fuqua said "when I was first elected he invited me down to the White House to talk about some of the issues in my district, he called me one night from Air Force One."
And that was one of the last times he spoke to the president. "I was in Washington and I was standing there and suddenly a priest comes up and I didn't know him and that's when they announced when he passed away. It was a trying time and here this man got shot and we are trying to figure out why, why did somebody do that. But I think it was very easy to remember where you were because it made a lasting impact on you and I think it did on most people."
Fuqua says he went to both speeches JFK gave here in North Central Florida in 1957 and they helped inspire him to get into politics. He served as a House Representative for nearly 25 years.
- Florida Student Debt Average Lower Than Other States
- Alachua Girl in National Tissue Box Artwork Contest
- Rent Checks Taken From Drop Boxes
- Abused Dog Up For Adoption
- Former American Red Cross Employee Accused of Fraud
- Family, friends remember 7 children killed in tragic accident nine years ago today
- Remembering The Forgotten War
- Remembering the Battle of Iwo Jima
- Memorial held for public servant
- Former Gator Larry Travis Remembered at Memorial Service