Rent Checks Taken From Drop Boxes
GAINESVILLE. Fla. -- A string of thefts has hit close to home for some people. Hundreds of rent checks never made it past the drop box. Apartment complexes in Gainesville like The Enclave and Cabana Beach were just a couple of those targeted.
Bryan Mora was confused when he recieved a late-fee for his rent check. He says used the drop box and paid his rent the day it was due. His rent check and about 100 others have been stolen from apartment drop boxes across Gainesville in the last week. "The check has my information and my address and even though it was written out to the apartment complex, they can still fake another one and they have my signature to replicate it" he said.
Mora was surprised when he found out the drop box wasn't theft proof. "Apparently they're getting a new drop box that is anti theft and to me that kind of came off shocking because in my opinion that drop box should have been anti theft since the beginning considering they're holding $600 checks and several of them" he said.
Gainesville Police Department spokesperson Ben Tobias says this isn't the first time rent checks have been taken in our area and the people doing it know exactly what to do with them. "They're altering them in such a way that they're able to cash them." Thieves can also access their accounts to take more money.
Other apartment complexes around the city seem to be getting the message. "We've seen the a number of the complexes have heeded our warning and closed their drop boxes temporarily or are getting rid of them for good which is what we're hoping for" Tobias said.
Mora says it was his first and last time using the drop box. "at the end of the day this shouldn't have happened, the sad part is, this is the first time i paid through that drop box in the three years that i've lived here."
If your rent check was among those that were stolen, officials suggest that you contact your bank immediately.
- Alachua Girl in National Tissue Box Artwork Contest
- Money Stolen From Church
- Phony Money In Gainesville & Ocala
- Bed Bug Infestation In Northeast Gainesville Apartment
- Gainesville Police Investigating Fourth Murder this Year Near Southern Pines Apartments
- Charges Dropped Against X-Box Boys
- Gainesville Police Bring Helicopter, Canines to Show and Tell
- Gainesville Police Trying To Keep Kids Out Of Trouble
- Man Shot by Gainesville Police Officer During High Speed Car Chase
- Gainesville Police Department's New Special Operations Unit