Miracle On Main Street
GAINESVILLE - The holidays are the season of giving. A miracle on Gainesville’s Main Street supplied toys for more than 500 families. It’s an annual event bringing plenty of smiles to the children involved.
Toys, the way to a kid's heart. However, not all parents can provide for their little ones. This is why for 23 years the Junior League of Gainesville has put on "Miracle on Main Street," a toy drive.
Throughout the year, the local Junior League collects toys and on the month of December they'll let low income families shop through their toy store at no cost. Instead the toys are worth points, each family gets 30.
The Junior League of Gainesville president Morgan Lee, saids setting up the event is not an easy task. "It takes a lot of work, this all happens with a committee of 12 people, which is amazing; a lot of volunteer support, a lot of businesses in our community have done toy drives," Lee said.
Miracle on Main Street is making sure more than 500 families receive nearly 2000 toys and about 250 bikes. "It truly warms your heart, i mean to be able to help these families and these children... for us that can provide gifts for our children it means the world to bring a little bit of joy to these families," Lee added.
For little girls like Teja Byers this gift means the world. "…And I am getting an American Girl doll and more toys and a lot of bikes and electronics." That is something that wouldn't be possible without the spirit of giving.
The toy drive wasn't all about fun and games. The Junior League is trying to bring in an educational focus by also giving away books as part of their "Read With Me" program to encourage families to read with their kids at home.
- UF ranked 6th in assisting low income students by New York Times
- Families receive Christmas gifts at 25th Annual Miracle on Main Street
- 24th Annual Miracle On Main Street
- Proposed Farm Bill May Affect Low Income Residents The Most
- Junior league members hope to raise $20,000
- 'Miracles on 34th Street' fundraising for Dance Marathon
- Bikers Roll Through The Streets Of Ocala To Deliver Toys For Children
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Annual Toy Drive
- BBBS Annual Toy Drive
- GACAR Holiday Toy Drive