Chimney Fires - What do You Need to Know?
GAINESVILLE - As temperatures continue to drop in North Central Florida...make sure your chimney is clean before using the fireplace.
One Gainesville homeowner tells us she's lucky her house wasn't more badly damaged after an early morning chimney fire.
She's only owned the home for two months.
Firefighters believe that creosote built up in the flue and that's what caught fire.
Michael Cowart, District Chief, Gainesville Fire Rescue: "the metal is not made to be on fire so if it is not cleaned out and it catches on fire then it can catch the combustible wood on fire."
Firefighters say if you have a chimney, you should have smoke detectors up high in case the fire enters the home.
They also say you shouldn't burn pine because of the creostoe build-up.
- The Affordable Care Act: What You Need To Know
- Fish Fraud: Do You Know Where Your Fish Comes From?
- What to Know if You're Considering Breast Reconstruction Surgery
- Dispatcher May Never Know What Happens Once they Hang up
- What Does Dad Mean to You?
- What Colors Do You Bleed? A Call Is Out to Gator Fans to Give Blood
- What were you doing ten years ago?
- Be Careful What Door You Knock On While Trick Or Treating
- Tiffany Sessions Part 2: What Her Family Needs for Closure
- What $40,000 Gets You in Presidential Fundraising