ACSO Lieutenant Under Investigation After He Accidentally Shot His Gun at the Courthouse
Alachua County Sheriff's Office Court Security Supervisor accidentally discharged his weapon...inside the courthouse.
Now, the incident is under investigation.
Lieutenant Calvin Decoursey was getting ready to clean his gun when a live round discharged into a briefcase in his office.
No one was hurt in the incident.
Firearm safety experts at Gainesville Target Range say discharges like this one happen mostly during cleaning or holstering.
"If you ever hear of firearm accidents, it's not really an accidental discharge. It's a negligent discharge," said Steven Bottcher, a firearm safety instructor at Gainesville Target Range.
The Alachua County Sheriff's Office said that Lieutenant Decoursey followed all the protocols for reporting this incident.
He has been put back on patrol, something the Sheriff's Office says was already in the works.
- Two Marion County Sheriff's Officials Come Under Fire After Internal Investigations
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Lieutenant Arrested for Armed Sexual Battery
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Promotes Gun Safety, Raises Money
- Tentative Agreement Made Between Alachua County Sheriff's Office and Some of Its Officers
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Launches New Investigation
- Another Levy County Sheriff's Office Investigation Concludes
- More Details Emerge In Levy County Sheriff's Office Investigation
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office Saves Woman from Pasco County
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers