Man on Trial for Murder in the Death of Baby Cousin
MARION COUNTY- A North Central Florida man accused of killing a five month old relative back in 2008 is now on trial this week.
It’s a case that dates back to January 2008 when deputies charged this man, Rishi Ramgoolie with first degree murder in the death of his five month old cousin.
" Did unlawfully and while engaged in the perpetration of a certain felony to with aggravated child abuse killed and murdered Sanjana Muthra, a human being, by causing severe trauma to her head," said Judge Edward Scott.
When we first reported this story in 2008, investigators said Ramgoolie told them the baby girl fell off a bed and hit her head while he was babysitting her. He later changed his story, telling investigators that he accidentally dropped her after he tripped. Ramgoolie had his first appearance back on January 24, 2008. Now six years later, Ramgoolie is on trial; represented by attorney Donna Kuchler. Rock Hooker is the prosecutor. This case will have 12 jurors and two alternates.
During the first day of jury selection, potential jurors were questioned about their knowledge of the case. Some people admitted to hearing about the case through media outlets. Another concern that came up was race.
"Do you think your feelings about or experiences with people from different races might affect your ability to be fair and impartial during this case and you put yes. We were wondering if you could further explain what you meant by that to us," said Hooker.
A few potential jurors expressed that Ramgoolie's race would affect their decision. Meaning they would lean toward a guilty verdict because of his color. Those three people were released and will not be sitting on this jury.
Ramgoolie is not facing the death penalty, but if convicted he could spend the rest of his life behind bars. The trial is expected to last about three weeks.
- Jury Selection Continues in Ramgoolie Trial
- Jury Selection Begins on Murder Trial of Michelle Herndon
- Zimmerman Trial: Jury Selection Begins
- Jury Selection Begins In Sandusky Trial
- Jury Selection Continues In Murder Trial
- Jury Selection in Hudson Family Murder Trial
- Man Accused of 2011 Parking Garage Murder on Trial
- Zimmerman Trial Day 9: The Jury is Selected
- Jury Selection Continues In John Couey Case
- Aaron Hernandez's Cousin Held Without Bond in Connection to Murder Case