Northwest Gainesville Road Construction Frustrates Drivers
Published February 6th, 2014
Road closures at 16th and 23rd Avenues in Northwest Gainesville are clogging up traffic and the hard part hasn't even begun.
An Alachua County Public Works Project Director says the $7 million project will widen sidewalks and resurface the roads.
NW 43rd and 23rd are currently reduced to one- lane roads because of sidewalk construction.
Drivers say they've been having to plan different routes to avoid getting stuck in traffic.
"If you're coming down 43rd street, I would recommend turning before you get to the bank," said Alachua County resident Ken Pridgen.
"I'll leave with plenty of time. I'm going to really have to take the long way!," said Gainesville resident Anne Jaohnson.
There are many road construction projects underway.
City of Gainesville workers say they are planning on resurfacing the road and replacing traffic lights starting at SW 16th to Archer Road and finishing on 13th Street.
On street parking will not be available.
That project starts on Monday and will hopefully be done by the start of the fall semester.
We checked in with the Florida Department of Transportation for their current projects.
They are still working on the southbound ramp construction at the High Springs/Alachua exit and are finishing up on repainting the bridge over the Santa Fe River.
Next week, they are expecting to start a 90 day resurfacing project in Waldo.
So expect traffic delays.
- Midnight Vote on Plans for NW 16th Avenue and NW 23rd Avenue
- Huge Addition To Alachua County's Public Lands, Levy Prairie
- Changes on the way for NW 16th Avenue in Gainesville
- Changes For Northwest 8th Avenue In Gainesville... From 4-Lane to 2-Lane
- City of Gainesville wants to Annex a Part of Alachua County
- New Development in Northwest Gainesville? City Commission Plans To Vote Tonight
- Road Construction forces Closures in Gainesville
- Gainesville's Fleet Maintenance Garage & Public Works Materials Storage Facility Combine
- Potholes Fixed on Northwest 23rd Corridor
- Trench Collapse Traps Worker on City of Gainesville Construction Site