FCAT Testing to Run Through Passover Holiday in Alachua County
Published March 5th, 2014
GAINESVILLE- Some Jewish families are concerned their kids will have to Passover taking one of the FCAT tests because its scheduled for the same time as an important religious holiday.
The state orders that testing for third graders start on or after Monday April 14th, the first day of Passover giving school districts the option to avoid running testing during the beginning of the holiday.
The Alachua County School District will start 3rd grade testing on the 14th and have it run 8 consecutive school days.
Concerned Parent, Jaqueline Peskin says there are alternatives, "there are other districts that are administering it on different dates. Some are doing it the following week, some are having less than ideal but sort of scattered schedule where they're offering it Monday, skipping Tuesday and or Wednesday, then going Thursday Friday, Monday of the following week."
Spokesperson for Alachua County District Schools Jackie Johnson says there aren't enough resources in the county for that kind of schedule, "the problem is there is absolutely no way we'd be able to fit in all the tests that are required in the order that they are required with the computers that we have with all the grades and subjects we have to have and still have them ready for the state to pick them up the following week."
Johnson further explains that the State Department of Education comes to Alachua County District Schools to pick up packaged reading and math tests for 3rd graders on April 28th.
Third grade testing also runs through another religious holiday, Good Friday on April 18th.
School board members heard from other parents at last night's meeting and encouraged them to send their concerns to state offices in Tallahassee.
- Alachua County Schedules FCAT During Passover
- Alachua County School Board Officials Hope To Have Standardized Tests Delayed
- Schools Across North Central Florida Begin FCAT Testing
- Students Use Art to Mark End of FCAT Testing
- FCAT Testing Set to Begin
- Music in Early Education Shows Benefit to FCAT Test Scores
- AAA Tow To Go Program To Run Through St. Patrick's Day
- Best Buy Scam Targeting Holiday Shoppers Through Text Message
- Working through the holidays is fun again!
- Florida Board Lowers FCAT Writing Test Passing Score