Local Medal of Honor Recipient Honored by American Legion
One of our nation's bravest heroes was honored this evening at the American Legion Post 16.
82-year-old Corporal Duane Dewey was recognized for receiving the Medal of Honor, which is the highest award in the nation for bravery in action against an enemy.
While being treated for an injury by a medic in the Korean War, Dewey, a former marine, covered a grenade that fell on the ground beside them, saving the medic's life.
"You know, when I put this on, I also wear it for them to and I think I live the same as everyone else. I just a common old country boy," said Corporal Duane Dewey, Medal of Honor Recipient.
Dewey was presented with the Medal of Honor on March 12, 1953 by President Eisenhower.
- Highest Honors For An American Hero
- Veterans Honored with Wreaths for the Holidays
- All American Liberty Fest Honors Veterans Young and Old
- Blessing Buckets For Homeless Veterans
- Legion Luring New Veterans
- Medal of Honor
- Army Vet Receiving Medal of Honor for Afghan Fight
- Gainesville Veterans Honor Pearl Harbor Hero
- Korean War Veterans Honored
- Vietnam War Veterans Honor Fallen Soldiers