Atheist Bench Application Denied Again at Levy County Courthouse
BRONSON - There won't be an atheist bench sitting next to the Ten Commandments at the Levy County Courthouse - at least not yet.
But Ray Sparrow with Williston Atheists say they aren't benching the idea.
The county commission has denied the request for the second time citing various parts of the application they say didn't follow their guidelines.
One of those being that the atheist bench would have quotes on the bench but the guidelines say a full text must be on any monument.
Ray Sparrow, Williston Atheists: "one of the main things is that the monument we wanted placed here did not have complete text to references that we made but if you'll notice the Ten Commandments monument they have here is not complete in its text."
but the county attorney says that the ten commandments don't have to have the whole bible printed... because the supreme court has recognized the commandments as a secular document used on its own.
- Atheist Monument Unveiled on Courthouse Lawn
- Levy County Commissioners Make "Monumental," Decision for Local Atheists
- Atheist group in process of suing county over religious monument
- ACSO Lieutenant Under Investigation After He Accidentally Shot His Gun at the Courthouse
- Sinkhole Near Suwannee County Courthouse
- FEMA funding denied as Dixie County continues to flood
- City of Hawthorne approves application to annex land
- Questions unanswered; mining application "in limbo"
- Staff Recommends County Commission Deny Plum Creek Plan
- Water Management District Staff Recommends Adena Springs Permit be Denied