Atheist Bench Application Denied Again at Levy County Courthouse
BRONSON - There won't be an atheist bench sitting next to the Ten Commandments at the Levy County Courthouse - at least not yet.
But Ray Sparrow with Williston Atheists say they aren't benching the idea.
The county commission has denied the request for the second time citing various parts of the application they say didn't follow their guidelines.
One of those being that the atheist bench would have quotes on the bench but the guidelines say a full text must be on any monument.
Ray Sparrow, Williston Atheists: "one of the main things is that the monument we wanted placed here did not have complete text to references that we made but if you'll notice the Ten Commandments monument they have here is not complete in its text."
but the county attorney says that the ten commandments don't have to have the whole bible printed... because the supreme court has recognized the commandments as a secular document used on its own.
- Levy County Commissioners Make "Monumental," Decision for Local Atheists
- Atheist Monument Unveiled on Courthouse Lawn
- Sinkhole Near Suwannee County Courthouse
- Marion County Opens the Doors to its New Courthouse
- Big Pill Player On The Bench...For Now.
- Dixie County Family Fights AvMed Again For Daughter's Health Care
- Jurors Learn Gun Used in Murder Found Outside the Courthouse Where Defendant is Being Tried
- ACSO Lieutenant Under Investigation After He Accidentally Shot His Gun at the Courthouse
- Protest In Front Of Gainesville Civil Courthouse
- Police Investigating Missing Girl's Body Found in Levy County