Deputy Robert Lundy Goes Home
GAINESVILLE, FLA. -- A sheriff's deputy found out that you can go home again.
It was a triumphant procession home for a sheriff's deputy who had a brush with death a month-and-a-half ago.
And he got a hero's treatment.
After almost two months of recovery at the Shands Rehab Hospital, Deputy Robert Lundy got to go home on Friday morning.
"I'm blessed," said Deputy Lundy.
And that he is.
After being shot point blank in February at a car dealership in Perry, Deputy Robert Lundy was rushed to UF Health Shands in critical condition.
"It's been a difficult time being away from home and not being able to do the normal things, activities I normally do by myself," said Lundy.
And after weeks of therapy, he's ready to go home.
"I'm on the way to recovery, I'm not 100 percent," said Lundy, "but I'm taking it step-by-step, one day at a time, and I'll be there before long."
Law enforcement agencies and supporters lined the streets as he was released.
Close to 40 law enforcement officers came out to show their support as nine Alachua County Sheriff's Office vehicles escorted deputy Lundy from the hospital.
"I'm participating in this to day to send a hero back home that's had a long road to recovery," said Deputy Chris Drake of the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.
And his "brother" officers aren't the only ones calling him a hero.
One Newberry resident says she got emotional watching the cars drive by.
"We have so many heroes out there that don't get acknowledged as being heroes on an every-day basis," she said.
Some of Lundy's coworkers drove from Perry to "guide" him back home.
"He is such a strong guy, we;re so excited to have him recovered and on his way back to work," siad Lieutenant Harper Gibson of the Taylor County Sheriff's Office.
The 16 mile procession ended at the Gilchrist County line where Deputy Lundy continued his trip home.
The man who shot Lundy and two others at that car dealership, Earl Edward Clague Jr. died when he was hit by Lundy's return fire.
- Team Lundy Bands Together to Support Family of Injured Deputy
- Columbia Co. Deputies Searching for Shooting Suspect
- Man Gets Life For Fatal Home Invasion
- Ocala Mobile Home Goes Up In Flames
- Four Dogs Killed, 20 Others Injured, After Mobile Home Goes Up in Flames
- Play of the Year Round 1 Choices: Floyd/Lundy vs Franklin
- Deputies Remove 161 Cats From Home
- Deputies Search For Armed Suspect In Home Invasion Robbery
- Deputies: Man Burglarizes Five Homes On His Own Street
- Levy County Deputy's Home Burns to the Ground