"Girls On The Run" 5k Marathon
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A local group is getting ready to run a 5K on Friday night… but unlike most runners, these are third, fourth, and fifth grade girls.
The girls are part of the "Girls on the Run" program for Alachua County.
The after-school program combines training to participate in a running event with self-esteem workouts, and a community service project.
The program is designed to help young girls with setting goals, stand up for themselves and to choose life outside the so called "girl box."
"What we try and teach them through running and setting goals is to embrace who they are. We're all different, but we can all work together, and that's kinda the theme of the program, is to get outside this girl box, embrace who you are, appreciate others for their individuality, and get rid of the mean girl in the "girl box," said Board Chair for the Alachua chapter, Erica Johnson.
"I've learned that we all work together and we all work as a team and we can't be able to function without working as a team," said Leah Clines, one of the runners participating on the 5K.
- Family Spotlight 4/15/10 "Girls On The Run"
- "5 Points of Life" Marathon & Relay
- "Sweet" Fundraiser Benefits Dance Marathon & Shands Hospital for Children
- Students/Community Honor Victims of 9/11 with "Good Deed" Marathon
- Gainesville Man "Picks Up" a 14 year old Girl
- Racist Rant Girls "No Longer Students at GHS"
- Wise Joins Effort with "Raise the Roof" Fundraiser for Girls Place
- Emotions Run High as Commissioners Face Questions During Biomass Plant "Workshop"
- "Hiccup Girl" Convicted of Murder Seeks Retrial
- Runners Participate In Five Points Of Life Marathon