A Local Boy Named "Florida Champion" of Children's Miracle Network Hospitals
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- He's the new poster boy for the Children's Miracle Network in the Sunshine State.
UF Health Shands Children's Hospital has announced a Gainesville patient as this years Children's Miracle Network Hospitals "Florida Champion."
And he's a champion in many ways. This 6-year-old is inspiring those around him.
"Nathan is full of life," said his father, Jason Ferrell.
Diagnosed before his first birthday with Mitochondrial Disease, Nate Ferrell is one tough kid.
"Even when he's struggling, he always smiles, he always is looking forward to something else… it doesn't seem to get him down."
Nate was selected by UF Health Shands Children's Hospital as this years Florida Champion for the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals.
"You would never think that a medical illness in your family would be a blessing to you but it has been in this case. So we now have the opportunity to use his story to inspire other as we've been inspired by him."
Nate will represent all pediatric patients treated at CMN hospitals in the state of Florida as well as UF Health Shands Children's Hospital… and he can't wait.
"Are you excited to be here?"
"I'm more excited than anybody!," said Nate with a smile.
The Ferrell's hope Nate continues growing and enjoying life taking one day at a time.
"Just because you have an illness doesn't mean that that's an opportunity to stop. it's an opportunity yo move forward and tell others how good life can be."
And 6-year-old Nate is doing just that.
Florida's Children's Miracle Network champions are chosen annually for facing unique medical challenges with courage and poise.
As for Nate's prognosis-- he and his family are taking it one day at a time.
- Children's Miracle Network Family Boot Camp
- Sick Teen Raises Money for Children's Miracle Network
- Legislature Passes "Florida GI" Bill
- Shands Children's Hospital Among Best in Nation
- Technology Spotlight 10/5/10 "Florida STaRS Program"
- Death of Son, Leads to New Foundation and Future Children's Hospital
- Ferrero Foundation Hosts Event To Raise To Build Children's Hospital
- Force Sisters Visit Children's Hospital Before Race
- Children's Hospital in Gainesville Makes Cents
- UF Shands Children's Hospital Opens New Entrance