School Assault Possibly Linked to Car Burglaries
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A young teenager was mugged on the way to school this Wednesday in Alachua County. But the assault may be linked to another crime.
At around 9:00 a.m. a 14-year-old boy was walking on Tower Road to Kanapaha Middle School when he says two or three men assaulted him.
The boy immediately went to the school resource deputy after the assault.
The deputy called the ambulance and called the boys parents… he was taken to the emergency room where he was treated for his injuries.
Authorities are saying the assault on the boy may be related to a series of car break-in's that occurred Tuesday night in the Greenleaf neighborhood near the school.
A gun was stolen from one of the cars.
"Patrol deputies responded, they set up a perimeter, they conducted some K-9 tracks… we currently are out with some persons of interests that our patrol deputies stopped a vehicle that are persons of interests in the car burglaries… at this time, we don't know if they're gonna be tied to the assault, too," said Public Information Officer for Alachua County Sheriff's Office, Art Forgey.
Kanapaha Middle School and Kimball Wiles Elementary School were both on lock down for about an hour until the area was secure.
Two men have been taken into the Alachua County Sheriff's office where they are being charged with the car burglaries.
It isn't certain if they were involved in Wednesday's beating.
The 14-year-old boy was released from the hospital and met with detectives Wednesday afternoon.
A photo lineup is scheduled for Thursday with the victim and the two men.
- UF Researchers Link Cats to Possible Human HIV Vaccine
- Five Guys robbed in Ocala, possibly linked to other crimes
- Suspects Linked to More Than 20 Bronson Burglaries
- GPD, UFPD Release New Video, Sketch of Possible Sexual Assault Suspect
- Police: Drunk Driver Assaults, Rams Ex-Girlfriend's Car
- School district investigation closed in school bus assault
- Possible Medical Emergency May Be Responsible For A One Car Crash In Ocala
- Possible Arson? A Family Is Upset After Their Car Goes Up In Flames Overnight
- Car burglaries in Newberry
- Rash of Car Burglaries in Marion County