Warren Defeats Orlando by 127 Votes in Gainesville City Commission Runoff
Published April 9th, 2014
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Helen Warren is Gainesville's newest city commissioner after narrowly defeating her opponent in the runoff for the At-Large Seat 2.
Warren topped Annie Orlando by a margin of just 127 votes -- that's a little more than one percent of all votes cast.
After the two candidates finished neck-and-neck in last month's general election, Warren said she expected the runoff to be close.
"When it's this close, it's hard to say what the one factor was that influenced my winning," said Warren. "This is something that I want to put out there as being a win-win for everybody, and I'm glad to have been the one to have gotten the support from the community," she said.
Warren seemed to dismiss claims that the race would determine the direction of the city commission, saying she plans to work with members on both sides of the aisle upon taking office.
Meanwhile, Orlando said she was proud of her campaign, saying she wouldn't do anything differently. Orlando, an outspoken opponent of Gainesville's contract to buy biomass power, said she was grateful for the broad coalition of support she was able to build, all without receiving any fundraising help from the Alachua County Democratic Party.
Orlando didn't rule out getting back into politics at some point in the future, although she made it clear she has other things she would like to take care of before then.
Warren -- and fellow new commissioner Craig Carter -- will both take office next month.
- Poe vs. Skop- City Commission Run-Off Election Tuesday
- Warren, Orlando Make Final Pitch to Voters Ahead of At-Large 2 Runoff
- Early Voting For Gainesville Runoff Election Begins Monday
- Runoff Needed in Gainesville City Commission Race
- Early Voting For Run-Off Election
- New Development in Northwest Gainesville? City Commission Plans To Vote Tonight
- Early Voting For Gainesville City Commission
- Ocala City Council Runoff Election
- PACs Funnel Money Into Gainesville Runoff Election
- Vote 2014: Election Information