MCSO Warns of "Buckin"
Marion County, FL -- It's not a new concept - thieves going to neighborhoods and checking for unlocked cars they can burglarize. But the Marion County Sheriff's Office may have a new name for this technique - "buckin".
The Marion County Sheriff's Office is warning drivers against buckin', a simple way of saying thieves are targeting unlocked cars.
According to MSCO Spokesperson Judge Cochran, "this is basically when the thief is working through a neighborhood and he's checking doors, he's pulling on them, if it's locked, he moves on, but if it's unlocked, they take advantage of the situation."
Cochran said the name came from a 16-year-old boy Marion County Sheriffs Deputies recently arrested for stealing winning lottery tickets from the inside of an unlocked car with his friend. "The particular kid in this case told the Detectives he and his friend went buckin," said Cochran.
Residents weren't at all surprised by news of this trend. "I just think it's another thing in our society, obviously we have many things throughout the years," said Marion County resident Shawn Fox.
Although the name may be unheard of by some, Cochran says the act isn't, because it's so easy. "It takes very little energy, it takes very little planning, they simply walk up to the door and pull on it," said Cochran.
He said about 93% of car burglaries in Marion County are of unlocked vehicles.
"It's not new, we have stats that indicate that when school is out, the burglaries overall go up, vehicle burglaries go up, home burglaries go up and what the kids will do, and some adults too but the thief will typically go around and look for that easy opportunity," stated Cochran.
Officials urged the best way to prevent valuables from being taken is to lock your car every time you leave the vehicle.
- Marion County Sheriff's Office Granted More Money for Cars
- Gun buy-back program in Marion County stirs conversation
- Multi-State Retail Theft Crime Ring Bust in Marion County
- Marion Co. Man Reported Missing, Family Fears for His Safety
- Double Homicide In Marion County
- Marion County Sheriff's Office looking into possible connected armed robberies
- Marion county man found shot to death in car
- Marion County Sheriffs Upgrade Stun Guns
- 11th Suspicious Letter Received in Marion County
- "The Rook" Approved in Marion County