MCSO Warns of "Buckin"
Marion County, FL -- It's not a new concept - thieves going to neighborhoods and checking for unlocked cars they can burglarize. But the Marion County Sheriff's Office may have a new name for this technique - "buckin".
The Marion County Sheriff's Office is warning drivers against buckin', a simple way of saying thieves are targeting unlocked cars.
According to MSCO Spokesperson Judge Cochran, "this is basically when the thief is working through a neighborhood and he's checking doors, he's pulling on them, if it's locked, he moves on, but if it's unlocked, they take advantage of the situation."
Cochran said the name came from a 16-year-old boy Marion County Sheriffs Deputies recently arrested for stealing winning lottery tickets from the inside of an unlocked car with his friend. "The particular kid in this case told the Detectives he and his friend went buckin," said Cochran.
Residents weren't at all surprised by news of this trend. "I just think it's another thing in our society, obviously we have many things throughout the years," said Marion County resident Shawn Fox.
Although the name may be unheard of by some, Cochran says the act isn't, because it's so easy. "It takes very little energy, it takes very little planning, they simply walk up to the door and pull on it," said Cochran.
He said about 93% of car burglaries in Marion County are of unlocked vehicles.
"It's not new, we have stats that indicate that when school is out, the burglaries overall go up, vehicle burglaries go up, home burglaries go up and what the kids will do, and some adults too but the thief will typically go around and look for that easy opportunity," stated Cochran.
Officials urged the best way to prevent valuables from being taken is to lock your car every time you leave the vehicle.
- Judge Rules MCSO Deputies Used Excessive Force on Joshua Salvato, Grants Wrongful Death Award
- MCSO: Remembering fallen deputy Brian Litz
- Williston Man Exchanges Gunfire with MCSO SWAT Team
- MCSO Increases Amount of Assets Seized from Criminal Suspects
- MCSO deputy slated as DPD interim police chief
- MCSO: Sergeant, man shot during standoff
- Former MCSO deputy arrested again
- MCSO investigates suspicious death
- MCSO releases images from home burglary
- MCSO deputies searching for man who drugged and raped a 15-year-old girl