Tree destroys apartment and sends a wake up call to the neighborhood
GAINESVILLE-- Its been a long hot day of cleaning up the mess left by strong storms on sunday.
Sunday evening a tree fell into the Kanapaha apartment building, trapping a mother and daughter before they were rescued.
There were no serious injuries but the home is lost.
No one else in the apartment building was injured but people in the neighborhood were affected in different ways.
Powerful thunderstorms packing quarter-sized hail, strong winds and lightning rolled through the area last night, leaving the home unlivable at the moment.
Some people in the surrounding apartments said that it was upsetting and they were relieved it didnt happen to them.
But one man who's been through severe weather conditions before said they're lucky it wasnt worse.
(Bob Gendrine, neighbor) "All it looked like was a big rain storm, a tree fell down, what did you expect."
The red cross has offered help to the family in the apartment but they have so far not accepted.
There are not many ways to prepare for damage like this but people should have hurricane preparedness kits to be ready for anything.
- Massive Tree Falls Into Apartment Building, Trapping Families Inside
- Ready For Hurricane Season? Inspect Your Trees.
- Gunshot Wake-Up Call
- SPECIAL REPORT: A Wake Up Call
- Wake Up Call
- Community Leaders Call for Peace in Wake of Racially-Charged Violence
- Fire Destroys Apartment Building
- Apartment Fire Destroys Two Families Homes
- High-Risk Neighborhoods Prepare for Hurricane Fay
- Tornado Tears Apart Homes In Lake City Neighborhood