Grace Market Place Looking for a Big Upgrade
GAINESVILLE -- Ready or not the Grace Market has until September 19th to get as much done before overnight stays for the homeless begin.
Part of making the facilities ready is a major bathroom makeover.
Its more about adding privacy than luxury.
Currently the Grace Market has nine bathrooms, some porta potties, and one shower for all those staying inside and around the center.
When overnight stays get underway but that's not going to be enough.
The city commission will vote thursday to give about two hundred and fifty thousand dollars to renovate the bathrooms in the former prisons.
As you can see there currently are no barriers between the showers and almost no privacy in between each toilet.
A quarter of a million dollars may seem like alot to redo bathrooms but they're not just redoing one.
(Theresa Lowe, Grace Market Place Director) " when you figure you're modifying bathrooms that will have sixteen toilets and sixteen showers and sixteen sinks, when you scale it down it sounds alot more reasonable, and thats going to accomodate 100 people a day or more."
Even if the shelter gets the money they dont expect to have the showers done in time for the beginning of overnight stays.
Lowe says they will cross that bridge when they get there.
According to Lowe the city will not have to put up any extra money for this project since there is supposed to be some reserve money for renovations from the old shelter plans that were never built.
- Is the Grace Market Place Ready for All the Homeless?
- Grace Market Place Starting Opening Stays This Month
- Grace Market Place Running Out of Time and Money
- Grace Market Place Overnight Shelter Opening Leaves Some in Tents
- Gainesville Police Department Makes Big Prostitute Bust
- Majestic Oaks Apartment Fire Leaves Some Homeless
- Alzheimer's Research Gets Some Big Funding In Florida
- MAYOR BRADDY PROPOSING CITY MEETINGS TIME LIMIT
- Tent City Residents Being Evicted
- Proposed City Ordinance Could Help in Spice Arrests