String of Lawn Mower Thefts in Hawthorne
Hawthorne, FL -- A bunch of lawn mowers have gone missing in one corner of North Central Florida, and that has some officials worried.
Alachua County Sheriffs Office Detectives said it's not the first time the city's seen this unusual crime - five years ago the same problem popped up. No one was caught back then, but since January, 22 mowers of all kinds and eight trailers have been reported stolen at various residences and businesses around Hawthorne.
All together, the stolen items total about $30,000.
Officials said residents should always secure their property to keep their items from being stolen. "A lot of people are leaving their items unsecured and making it very easy for the suspect to just come in and snatch their items so if they could just lock it up and secure their yard, hopefully we could see a decrease in that," according to ASO Detective Eric Hutchinson.
The investigation is still ongoing, but Hutchinson said the same people or person may be connected to all the crimes.
- Toddler run over by lawn mower
- 2 Florida Children Accidentally Run Over by Mowers
- Atheist Monument Unveiled on Courthouse Lawn
- Tips For Restoring Your Lawn
- City Officials And UF Team Up To Crack Down On Front Lawn Parking
- North Florida Regional Decorates Lawn With Pink Flamingos
- Man Linked to String of Robberies
- Suspect Identified in String of Gainesville Burglaries
- Marion County Man Believed to be Responsible for String of Arsons Arrested
- String of Burglaries in One Alachua County Neighborhood May be Connected