Detectives Call Ft. McCoy Human Remains Discovery a "Suspicious" Death Investgation
Published August 20th, 2014
MARION COUNTY---Detectives say this is now a suspicious death investigation.
The body was found in a wooded area north of Fort McCoy by workers at Sleepy Creek Lands on Monday.
The gender of the body has not been released yet but the Sheriff's Office says they found clothes among the bones.
Evidence investigators performed a grid search of the area yesterday afternoon to search for any clues around the remains.
"When you don't even know who the person is, you know that you're several weeks behind the eight ball here on investigating it. You really just have to go over everything with a fine tooth comb to make sure that you get anything that might be there as evidence," said Captain James Pogue with the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
Once the bones were collected, they were sent to the medical examiner's office.
The University of Florida CA Pound lab has been called in to help identify the remains, when the person died and the cause of death.
- MCSO investigates suspicious death
- Deputies investigate suspicious van in Union county
- Human Remains Found In Backyard Believed To Be Missing Man
- Human remains ID'd as body of missing Dunnellon man
- Detectives Investigating Drive By Shooting in Marion County
- Reward remains available in homicide investigation
- Plane Crash Kills Two Men, NTSB Called in to Investigate
- MCSO: Woman's body identified; death investigation continues in Silver Springs
- MCSO Investigating "Suspicious Death" Inside Ocklawaha Home
- Child Pornography Arrest