Former Gainesville Sun Delivery Man Arrested for String of Burglaries
Gainesville, FL -- A string of burglaries dating back to 2012 has been solved in one North Central Florida community, and three men are now in jail.
When Bill Graham went on vacation last June - he returned to find some of his prized possessions stolen. "I looked around and I spotted my laptop sitting out there in the grass and of course I just right away called the cops," said Graham. That was last year, but police said since 2012, a string of similar burglaries started popping up in Gainesville.
Police said three men - 24-year-old Brandon Avery Singletary and 25-year-olds Matthew Scott Goedeck and Coury Phillip Walters allegedly broke into Graham's home - along with eleven other locations.
Gainesville Police Department Spokesperson Ben Tobias said the men stole high-end merchandise, "firearms, to video game systems, televisions, ipods, computers, you name it."
According to Police, Singletary was a delivery man for the Gainesville Sun and knew when certain residents would be on vacation. "He used the knowledge of his newspaper route and the folks that were on vacation to commit his burglaries," said Tobias.
One man told TV20 his home was burglarized last year. The men made off with jewelry worth more than $1500 dollars, but he said police were able to recover his TV.
Graham was able to get his television and his movies back, however he is still missing some high-end noise-aplifying headphones.
Police said the men sold some of the merchandise to pawn shops and friends.
In total, more than 30 charges of burglary, fraud and grand theft have been filed against the three men, and Singletary is no longer employed by The Sun.
- Burglary duo plead guilty to 34 different crimes
- Man Arrested in String of Burglaries in Gainesville
- Two arrested for string of burglaries
- Four Arrested Following String Of Car Burglaries
- Suspect Identified in String of Gainesville Burglaries
- Marion County Man Believed to be Responsible for String of Arsons Arrested
- String of Burglaries in One Alachua County Neighborhood May be Connected
- String of Burglaries Hit Marion County
- String of Car Burglaries
- Residents On Edge After String Of Burglaries