Sheriff Darnell Responds to Mike Fellows Investigation
A major at the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office is a major no more.
At a hearing this afternoon with Sheriff Sadie Darnell, Major Mike Fellows decided to retire from the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office in lieu of being demoted to lieutenant.
TV20 reported last week the Sheriff intended to demote Fellows after an internal investigation indicates he failed to supervise former Captain Keith Vermillion, who resigned in July.
During an interview with the Sheriff, she refused to answer questions regarding how much Fellows said she and her chief deputy David Huckstep knew about Vermillion’s misbehavior and why they decided never to formally punish him for it.
Multiple witnesses in the internal investigation testified they and Fellows believed Vermillion untouchable because the Sheriff and her chief deputy never punished Vermillion’s misbehavior when it happened.
The Sheriff told TV20 she has no intention of changing anything to prevent that from happening again.
- ASO Major to be demoted for failure to supervise
- Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell: Full Interview
- Major Fellows' Investigation Released
- Sheriff Sadie Darnell Responds to Keith Vermillion Resignation
- Vermillion Files: ASO Now Open To Lawsuits
- Fellows Retires, Sheriff Discusses Deputies Perception of Vermillion
- Docs: ASO Duplicates Services to Circumvent ICAC
- ASO Captain Keith Vermillion terminated amidst agency turmoil
- ASO Captain Keith Vermillion Suspended
- Vermillion Files: Who Knew What and When?