Ted Yoho visits Newberry for first town hall meeting of the year
NEWBERRY, Fl. -- U.S. House Representative Ted Yoho made his way to Newberry for the first town hall meeting of the year. The congressman gave people an opportunity to voice their thoughts and concerns. A little over a hundred people filled the Oak View Middle School Auditorium to see Yoho speak.
"We're here to make this the best district in Florida," Congressman Yoho said. "And to make this a strong nation and rebuild America to the point where every body can accomplish what they want in this country and not have to worry about the national debt, not worrying about national security or whether immigration's broke. We want to solve problems, not try to fix them. We want them solved."
And answer questions with topics of health care and education at the forefront.
High school students, like Blake Burdge, say attending town hall meetings is a privilege more people need to take advantage of.
"It's important to get out there and form our own views so that we can spread those views with our peers so they can make decisions for themselves," Burdge said.
Questions for the congressman varied in topic. There were district issues discussed as well as issues on the national level. People who were unable to ask questions due to the time constraint were asked to write them down on notecards for the congressman to respond by next week.
Congressman Yoho spoke on the Student Success Act, the debt ceiling, as well as international affairs, among other topics.
Some people say they believe in his vision.
"I'm very, very pleased to hear Ted Yoho speak," Alachua resident, Daphna Ariel said. "He's represented our state of Florida and our district tremendously."
Others didn't quite agree with his view.
"I don't feel he understands the problems that people have affording healthcare and affording co-payments and medications costs," Gainesville resident, Karen Epple said. "He doesn't understand that many people have less privileges than he has had."
- Congressman Yoho and Mica in town
- NCF Peanut Farmers Meet with Congressman Ted Yoho
- Newly-Elected Congressman Ted Yoho 'Meets the Press'
- Congressman Ted Yoho Hosts Town Hall Discussion Focusing On Veterans And The Issues They Face
- Rep. Ted Yoho Talks About Key Issues At A Town Hall Forum
- Congressman Yoho on Healthcare Legislation
- Congressman Ted Yoho Wins Republican Primary Elections
- Local Immigration Group Talks Immigration Reform With Congressman Ted Yoho
- Immigration Summit With Congressman Ted Yoho (Long Version)
- Yoho town hall draws large crowds, man punched