New developments announced for East Gainesville
Published April 14th, 2016
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Major change is coming to East Gainesville, if one city commissioner has his way. Commissioner Charles Goston announced on Wednesday that four new restaurants and a couple of stores will be built along Waldo and Hawthorne roads.
"Commissioners say well the east side is a black hole, well I'm about bring some sunshine," Goston said Wednesday night.
Change was the platform of Commissioner Goston's town hall meeting at the TB McPherson Center. Specifically, development coming to east Gainesville.
"Finally, all the elements are in place, we're going to make it happen," Goston said.
According to Goston, three chain restaurants will be built on the east side of town: Golden Corral, Outback, and Olive Garden.
"I cook all the time, but I would love to go to Golden Corral or the Country Buffet. Somebody's gotta treat me," said resident Shantell Hayes.
Hayes was one of the 30 or so people at the town hall meeting Wednesday.
"You want to have something closer in the neighborhood," Hayes said.
In addition to the three restaurants, Goston announced a Publix, CVS pharmacy, a 24-hour Urgent Care and wellness center.
"We'll be providing jobs, opportunities, amenities that the east side has not seen before," Goston said.
Amenities, he says, that will include those proposed projects, three senior citizen centers plus better neighborhood street lighting and an express morning bus route.
"We're going to work," Goston said.
No plans or documents of any of these developments have been released by the city. Staff turned any questions regarding the projects to the commissioner. Goston says economic development in east Gainesville is about to begin.
"Finally we're moving forward, finally we have a person that cares what happens," Goston said.
"More jobs, more opportunities in our area. We'd love to see that come to town," Hayes said.
- UPDATE: City speaks about developing East Gainesville
- New housing community coming to east Gainesville
- New Development in Northwest Gainesville? City Commission Plans To Vote Tonight
- East Gainesville Initiative Will Host One- week Camp for East Gainesville Residents
- Major Development To Be Announced In Somer Thompson Case
- Some skeptical of announced development
- Gainesville City Commissioner Wants To See Changes In East Gainesville Redevelopment
- New app rates restaurants
- "Krab King" opens new restaurant
- Ocala Car Dealership Houses New Restaurant