Deputies search hours; armed burglars at-large
ALACHUA, Fla. -- Two armed burglars were at large as of Wednesday night after a four hour manhunt in northern Alachua county.
Sheriff's deputies called off the search 6pm Wednesday. They said the burglars were able to get away.
"I wish they would have lasted a little longer."
Tiffany Smith lives about a mile away from the victim. She was hoping the deputies would have searched until sundown.
"This whole strip is either young parents or elderly adults."
According to deputies, the residents of a home along Nw 138th Avenue arrived to find two men dressed in black clothes inside their home. Deputies say the men tied the residents up, assaulted one and then stole their car. They ditched the late model Dodge along US441 and ran into the woods.
The manhunt stretched miles and included officers from agencies across North Central Florida - including air support and blood hounds from the Department of Corrections. Efforts were unsuccessful.
The search tripped a lockdown at Santa Fe High School - the third this year. Some parents, like Joyce Jones, were on edge. "I was just wondering what was going on."
Jones has a granddaughter who attends Santa Fe. "I hoped and prayed it was nothing serious."
As detectives try to identify the two burglars, Smith says she's sleeping with one eye open. "It worries me because I have my son at one end of the trailer and I'm at the other."
- Deputies: string of burglaries span four counties
- Funding for Alachua County school resource deputies
- Marion County sheriff's deputies looking for suspect after patrol cars burglarized, guns stolen
- Marion County Sheriff's deputies search for missing family
- MCSO: deputies still searching for clues to solve Ronnie Damon's homicide
- The Same Deputy Will Now Remain in Elementary Schools
- RTS Bus And Sheriff's Deputy Car Involved In Crash
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputy on administrative leave for dating violence incident
- The search continues for two armed men in Levy County that attempted to rob a home