New Gainesville cancer center grand opening
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A new Gainesville cancer center at North Florida Regional Hospital has teamed up with Florida Cancer Specialists.
The facility is important for North Central Florida.
"I was a patient here, I'm a survivor, 5 years out," said radio personality Storm Roberts.
Oatients like Roberts said the care at the North Florida Cancer Center has always been great, but now that they will be able to treat more than 100 types of cancer under one roof it will get even greater.
Roberts had the chance to help design the new facility. "I was lucky enough to be on the advisory panel where they actually listened to the patients when they were designing this building," he said.
The North Florida Cancer Center celebrated the addition of Florida Cancer Specialists to their team with a ribbon cutting.
This is not the only center of it's kind, according to Brad Prechtl, CEO of Florida Cancer Specialists, "It's fully integrated with oncology, radiology, radiation oncology under one roof, and then integrating clinical research, lab, hematopathology, and our in house pharmacy."
There are 92 other Florida Cancer Specialists facilities around the state, but only a few treat everything under one roof.
Dr. Cherylle Hayes, Medical Director of Cancer Center said, "By keeping up with clinical trials and keeping up with the latest research and technology, we're able to provide the patient with total care."
Those who attended the ribbon cutting were able to walk around the entire campus, getting a grand tour of the new facility.
Part of the $10 million investment, the improved cancer center opened in June to keep people going to one cancer center for all of their care.
"This is a critical benefit to the patients because our medical oncologists can literally walk down the hall, speak to a radiologist or a radiation oncologist about the care that our patients are receiving, in coordination with those other specialties," said Prechtl.
Roberts said he is happy to say the city he calls home has everything he needs, "You want to have a great place to raise your kids. You want to have great education, a beautiful environment, and you want to have world class health care and we have that right here at the North Florida cancer center."
- Florida Cancer Specialists begins work on new facility
- New Trauma Center Opens in Ocala
- Deadly Stabbing at North Florida Regional Medical Center
- North Florida Regional Medical Center Program Combats Growing Infectious Disease Problem
- North Florida Regional Medical Center Completes ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- The Cancer Center Opens at North Florida Regional Medical Center
- Free health clinic in Gainesville celebrates grand opening
- Your Health: Treating Breast Cancer With New Technology
- Medical Spotlight: New Home Screenings for Colon Cancer
- Medical Spotlight: New Advances in Treating Coronary Blockages