High Springs celebrates the start of the school year
HIGH SPRINGS, Fla. -- School in Alachua County starts Monday, and High Springs is celebrating with a back to school backpack giveaway.
Community Promise hosted the event at Catherine Taylor park in High Springs this afternoon.
210 backpacks filled with supplies were donated. Raymond Lee, Community Promise President said, "We're giving away book supplies, school book supplies and book bags to the kids in the community. A lot of kids aren't able to get book bags for school, so we're trying to supply the essentials for them to go back."
More than 150 people were there.
Community Promise has held the event for the last 11 years.
- Back to school backpack giveaway for the Porter's Community
- Community Promise hosts backpack drive
- Prayer assembly for cops and civilians in High Springs
- High Springs police investigating burglaries
- High Springs police and fire go door to door with gifts
- Community gathers to help 7 year old with cancer
- Bomb threat forces evacuation at Buchholz High School
- Lifelong Valentines: Couple celebrating love for more than 60 years
- Two hero officers honored at High Springs Community School
- Shooting At High Springs Community School