Woman released from Gilchrist County jail after Sabal Trail Pipeline arrest
GILCHRIST COUNTY— Sunday morning, Katherine Cavanaugh was released from the Gilchrist County Jail after being arrested by a deputy for obstruction of justice.
Katherine Cavabaugh said, “I said it once and i’ll say it again, “I did not do anything wrong."
Katherine Cavanaugh was put into handcuffs Saturday evening when she says she was talking to researchers about the controversial Sabal Trail Pipeline. That's when a Gilchrist Sheriff’s Deputy pulled her out of her car.
Cavanaugh says the deputy asked for her license and registration. When she asked him why, the situation escallated.
Katherine Cavanaugh said,"I was scared. I was scared because I didn't know what was happening to me. I didn't understand why he was puling me out of my car. And I still don't understand why he stopped us in the first place if we weren't doing anything wrong."
Cavanaugh says they were showing a group of researchers the pipe line project when a deputy told them to leave the area.
And as they were driving off slowly, the deputy pulled in front of their cars and started asking for ID.
I tried reaching out multiple times to the Gilchrist County Sheriffs' Office about the incident, but they say they can not get back to us until Monday morning.
The arresting deputy said, “ I told her if the refusal kept going that she was going to be arrestd for obstruction. She continued to refuse, so she was arrested. Thats what she's going to have to contest in court that I didnt say that."
Despite the arrest Sabal Trail Pipeline activist say they will continue to fight to saving the natural springs throughout the area.
Merrillee Malwitz-Jipson said,"Well from here on we want to stop the pipeline. Were still pursuing that and don’t plan to stop. its ruining our environment in North Central Florida."
- Sabal Trail pipeline protesters arrested
- Gilchrist County Homicide, Victim Dies Fleeing From Intruder
- Woman Tries to Smuggle Drugs into Jail
- MCSO releases images from home burglary
- 15 People in Jail After Three Drug Busts
- 16th arrest at Sabal Trail Pipeline adds more to controversy
- Sabal Trail Pipeline protest
- Archer Man Shot Woman After She Kicked Down His Front Door
- Body Found In Lake Weir After Woman Falls Off Boat
- Prostitution Bust Sends 16 To Clay County Jail