MCSO: ATV rider reports being shot in arm during Superbowl weekend in Dunnellon
DUNNELLON, Fla.-- Marion County Sheriff's deputies are investigating the shooting of a 21-year-old man in “The Florida Highlands” on February 4th.
Deputies say a man was riding his ATV in the Florida Highlands area on February 4th, when he says he was shot in his right arm by someone in the area, and he has no idea why.
Lauren Lettelier said, "We had a 21-year-old male riding his 4-wheeler around in an area called the "mud hole". And he said it was a lot of people there around 50 to 70 people gathering for the Super Bowl weekend. He said he felt something hit him and then fell over and realized that he was shot."
He tells deputies he asked several people for help but they wouldn't help him. The man then drove himself home and called the police.
Neighbors in the area say they take walks and ride bikes through the sandy roadways often, but say they never heard any gun shots go off that weekend.
Deputies say the man refused to be taken to a hospital and decided to drive himself. And after weeks of not being able to find his shooter, deputies say the man gave them a call Tuesday to ask for help.
Lauren Lettelier said, "If anyone has any information about this incident or if you knew about this gathering and were there it’s important you call us. We have a 21-year-old man who has suffered from a gunshot wound and we need to know why this happened.”
- MCSO: 26-year-old man fatally shot in the driveway of a Silver Springs Shores home
- MCSO: deputies still searching for clues to solve Ronnie Damon's homicide
- MCSO: Woman's body identified; death investigation continues in Silver Springs
- MCSO: Ocala man arrested after going AWOL from the U.S. Air Force 45 years ago
- MCSO: Gunman's bullets narrowly miss 2 boys playing inside Ocala home
- MCSO: Sergeant, man shot during standoff
- MCSO deputies purchase a new virtual shooting training simulator
- Two protesters 'forced' out of Sabal Trail pipe in Dunnellon
- Human remains ID'd as body of missing Dunnellon man
- MCSO releases images from home burglary