MCSO: Gunman's bullets narrowly miss 2 boys playing inside Ocala home
OCALA, FLA.— A man taking practice shots in rural Ocala is being investigated after some of his bullets hit nearby houses. The two homeowners say the shooter needs to be arrested and charges need to be filed.
John Dankert, says he was sitting inside his home Monday evening when he heard gunshots that sounded like they were coming from outside his front door.
John Dankert said, "I was still in the house and my wife came in and said I swear a bullet just hit the trailer. So I came out to check and investigate and while I was standing there in the driveway I hear another gunshot and it ricochets and flies by my head."
A few bullets hit Dankert's house and work truck, while nine other bullets hit his neighbor's home.
Some of those bullets went through bedrooms inside that house.
Dankert says he screamed into the woods for the gunman to stop shooting then ran back inside to call police.
Neighbors in the area say the gunman eventually came out of the woods and that's when he was told by the neighbors that he'd been shooting into a home that had children inside."
Mrs.McGee said, "It's terrible, every time I walk into the house coming from work I have to answer questions about this situation to them. My kids are terrified to go in their rooms and to even use the restroom on that side of the house. It’s just terrible."
3-year-old Raylen and 5 year-old Ricardo were playing in their bedroom when bullets came through their window, nearly hitting them.
Mcgee says even though no one was injured, the gunman needs to be arrested and charges should be filed.
Lauren Lettelier said, “So in this certain case the deputies, because of different matters in this case the deputies will be investigating whether to file charges or not."
A Marion County ordinance says a person cannot shoot a gun inside a residential area. And if they're shooting outside a residential area they have to do so safely.
- MCSO: deputies still searching for clues to solve Ronnie Damon's homicide
- MCSO: Woman's body identified; death investigation continues in Silver Springs
- MCSO: ATV rider reports being shot in arm during Superbowl weekend in Dunnellon
- MCSO: 26-year-old man fatally shot in the driveway of a Silver Springs Shores home
- MCSO: Ocala man arrested after going AWOL from the U.S. Air Force 45 years ago
- MCSO releases images from home burglary
- MCSO deputies searching for man who drugged and raped a 15-year-old girl
- MCSO deputies purchase a new virtual shooting training simulator
- Santa and Mrs. Claus Talk About Newberry's Festival of Lights
- Woman hospitalized after being shot inside a van in Marion Oaks