Gainesville, Inglis and Micanopy election results
Gainesville, Fla. -- The votes have been tallied-- and the results are in.
Election day for Inglis, Micanopy, and Gainesville came with some surprise outcomes.
In Gainesville -- 3 city commission seats were up for grabs and the results will tilt the commission decidedly to the left.
In the race for the at-large seat....Incumbent Helen Warren held off newcomer Jenn Powell winning nearly 55% of the vote.
In district 2....Harvey Ward, Junior won a plurality of votes for the seat Todd Chase is leaving... defeating Perry Clawson and Sheryl Eddie.
Ward won nearly 51 percent of the vote to Clawson's 26 percent, and Eddie's 23 percent.
Harvey Ward explains how he won the seat, "We went out and knocked on doors and made phone calls and I talked to the people. These are the things that came back to us, that they told us matter. Living wage issues. These are the things that matter to the people of Gainesville and I think that's what brought folks out."
For District 3..David Arreola pulled off what turned out to be an easy upset of incumbent Craig Carter,defeating him with 66 percent of votes to his 34 percent.
David Arreola commented on his victory. "My roots in Gainesville were very strong but what really did it in this election was having all the support from a diverse set of people; people who never participated in local elections before."
In the mayoral race for the town of Inglis -- Mayor Drinda Merritt retained her seat with 170 votes defeating Michael Andy White's 57 votes.
And in Micanopy...Mike Roberts won re-election to seat 5 on the town commission with 139 votes defeating Layla Ruffino's 117 votes.
Preliminary results from the Alachua County Supervisor of Elections are here.
- Gainesville City Election Results
- 2011 Gainesville City Commision Election Results
- Vote 2013: Gainesville Mayor Lowe on Why He Should Be Re-elected
- Vote 2013: Ed Braddy on Why He Should Be Elected Mayor of Gainesville
- Gainesville Mayor Election Race
- Lowe Narrowly Beats Out Marsh In Gainesville Mayoral Election
- Gainesville City Commission runoff election held on April 14
- City Commission Race Results are In
- Disagreements result in cancelled joint commission meeting
- George P. Bush Makes a Stop in Gainesville, Encouraging Young Voters to Get to the Polls