Woman dies in Silver Springs Shores house fire
SILVER SPRINGS SHORES, FLA.-- A woman has died in a house fire in Silver Springs Shores Friday morning.
Marion County Fire Rescue crews say they received a call around 10:40 A.M. Friday, about a house fire on 68 Bahia Trace Course.
Once firefighters got to the house they said they could see smoke and fire coming from the attic.
Several people left the house, and one of them told crews that a woman was still inside rescuers went then inside to try and save her.
James Lucas said, "Additional units arrived on scene and made an interior attack on the fire while the rescue crews were able to pull the victim out of the house."
The victim, 53-year-old Cathy Van Cleef was later pronounced dead by rescuers.
Lauren Lettelier said, “At this point in time we have not found anything suspicious in nature in regards to this death at this point. There seems to be no foul play that we can find at this time however our investigation is ongoing and these are just preliminary findings for right now."
The Marion County Sheriff's Office and the Florida State Fire Marshal's Office are handling the investigation.
- MCSO: 26-year-old man fatally shot in the driveway of a Silver Springs Shores home
- MCSO: Woman's body identified; death investigation continues in Silver Springs
- Woman hospitalized after being shot inside a van in Marion Oaks
- Skimmer found at gas station pump in Silver Springs
- Marion County Sheriff's deputies search for missing family
- MCSO: Plane crashes in Williston, killing one man
- Fire from lighting strike destroys home in Summerfield
- Man dies in hospital after being found injured on CR 484
- Ocala man accused of burning neighbor's house while she was home
- Phone video shows altercation as an Ocala man fires a rifle wildly near home