House fire in Dunnellon leaves owner hospitalized
DUNNELLON, Fla.-- A man and woman in Dunnellon are alive tonight after they escaped their burning home Tuesday night.
Neighbors in the area say they saw the entire thing.
“Like I said, I heard some popping and i thought it was somebody taking shingles off the roof."
Cleveland Johnson says he was standing outside of his home on west Pennsylvania Avenue in Dunnellon, when he heard a loud noise coming from up the street.
He says when he went to go check out what was happening all he could see was smoke and fire coming from inside a house.
Cleveland Johnson said, "And we just watched the rescue units and fire trucks drive back and forth with their hoses and they were working hard trying to put the fire out."
Dunnellon fire fighters and Marion County fire rescue units pulled up to the house around 7:45 and found the home owner 67-year-old Michael Carter lying on the front lawn, who appeared suffering from a cardiac arrest.
Carter's wife, 69-year-old Jerry Carter says she was able to get her husband outside before the flames and smoke made its way through the home.
Fire fighters were able to bring the fire under control by 8 o' clock and Michael was taken to Ocala Regional Medical Center.
James Lucas said, “Protecting their property and having enough units on scene to be able to treat the victim as well as fight the fire is paramount to this successful operation.”
Fire rescue units say the cause of the fire is under investigation and Johnson says he plans to help the Carter's out once they return home.
Cleveland Johnson said, “So if anything needs to be done I can help them out by doing yard work or whatever is needed.”
- Woman dies in Silver Springs Shores house fire
- Ocala Shooting Leaves One Dead
- New Trauma Center Opens in Ocala
- Employees Concerned About Munroe Regional Becoming a For-Profit Hospital
- Residents left homeless after fire engulfs apartment in Belleview
- Fire from lighting strike destroys home in Summerfield
- Deadly Mobile Home Fire in Summerfield
- 15 Year Old Severely Injured in Raceway Crash
- Ocala midnight park shooting leaves a teenager hospitalized
- Marion County house fire leaves one dog dead