Doctor Tecla Myrick from the Alachua County Animal Services talks about preventing the need to turn animals into shelters..
The most common reasons given by owners when surrendering animals are:
1. The owner is moving and can't take pet along for whatever reason.
2. The pet is too active and destructive.
3. Owner doesn't have enough time to devote to pet care.
4. Problems with housebreaking.
5. Cost of pet maintenance.
6. Either the animal or owner has developed health issues.
7. A family member is allergic to the pet.
8. Fighting between pets.
9. Pet belonged to a child who has moved out of the home.
10. Pet has become pregnant.
Dr Myrick says many of these problems can be avoided.
Do research and make sure your lifestyle can handle a pet before getting one.
Do not give pets as gifts.
Get obedience training for your pet(s).
Have your veterinarian rule out physical reasons for a change in behavior.
Have you pet spayed or neutered to control pet population.
For more information call Alachua County Animal Services at 352-264-6870 or ask your veterinarian.