Thieves Targeting Ford Trucks In Marion County
The Marion County Sheriff's Office is investigating a string of truck thefts targeting a very specific make and model of Ford that burglars are finding easy to break into.
The popular "F-series" pickup trucks have been stolen and recovered in Marion as well as Hernando, Citrus, and Sumter counties.
Detectives believe the crimes are organized and possibly drug related.
"We've investigated about four cases where ford f-series trucks have been stolen"said Captain James Pogue of the Marion County Sheriff's Office. "So it could be a 150 250 or a 350, apparently these vehicles are easy to break into and the keys do not have a chip in them."
That chip is called a "transponder", which is a standard ignition block security measure in late model vehicles that Ford left out of their F-series trucks made in the early 2000's. The most recent truck in Marion County was stolen on Monday and valued at $52,000.
More than 20 other similar trucks have been stolen in surrounding counties.
- Semi Truck Crash in Marion County Leaves Driver Seriously Injured
- 3 Trucks and 2 Mustangs Stolen From Ocala Ford Dealership
- Authorities In Marion County Looking For Thieves Who Stole Car And Credit Cards
- Thieves Steal Christmas Gifts from Broward County Family
- Shooter targeting cars in Marion County
- Thieves Targeting Packages Left At Your Door
- For Sale Homes A Target For Copper Thieves
- Truck crashes into home in Marion County
- Thieves Busted After Pawning Stolen Goods
- Thieves Steal Phones from AT&T Store