Field Hearing for the Oyster Industry
The US Senate Commerce Committee is holding a field hearing to find out first-hand about the near collapse of the state's oyster industry.
Both US Senators Marco Rubio and Bill Nelson will attend the hearing being held in the Franklin County Courthouse.
Rubio asked for the hearing so that senators can understand the "dire impacts" that decreased flows of fresh water have had on oysters.
Most of Florida's oysters come out of Apalachicola Bay, in the Panhandle.
Federal authorites declared a Fishery Disaster on Monday. for those who harvest oysters out of the Gulf of Mexico.
The declaration sets the stage for possible help from the federal government is Congress approves it.
- George Zimmerman "Stand Your Ground" Hearing
- Bus Brawl Hearing
- GPD Holds Family Field Day Over the Weekend
- Florida's Agriculture Natural Resource and Food Industries on the Rise
- Answers For Oyster Collapse On The Coast
- Economic Injury Declaration to help Commerical Oyster Fisheries
- Two Tons of Illegally Harvested Oysters Seized in FL.
- Citizens Gather to Hear About Silver Springs Tranistion Plan
- Zimmerman Trial: Hearing Over Audio Experts Still Undecided
- Audio Experts Play Key Role In Zimmerman Hearings