Suspect In Disappearance Attempts Suicide
The Volusia County man being questioned in the disappearance of his wife and her two children tried to commit suicide while in police custody Saturday.
The Volusia County Sheriff's Office says Luis Toledo jammed the bathroom door at the county jail where he was being held, smashed the mirror and tried to cut his wrists with the broken glass. Police say Toledo suffered non-life threatening injuries.
He's being held on a domestic battery charge. The attempted suicide happened as authorities continue to search for the bodies of his wife Yessinia Suarez and her two children: Michael and Thalia.
Police say Suarez is the lone suspect in the case at this time, but he has yet to face charges in connection to the disappearance.
The search continues for the missing mother and her children. In Deltona, family and friends gathered over the weekend to hold a memorial for them.
Classmates of the two young children couldn't hold back tears as they laid flowers, cards and toys on the makeshift memorial. On Thursday, authorities announced the mother and children are dead, but have yet to find their bodies.
Friends of the family say everyone is shocked by this case.
Last week, authorities looked in a landfill for the family, but came up empty. They will now turn their focus outside of the county. Police started searching for the mother and her two children last Wednesday.
- Attempted Murder Suspect Shot by Police
- Alachua County Jail Inmate Attempts Suicide
- Suspect Named in Disappearance of Tiffany Sessions
- Attempted Cat Rescue
- Utah Man, Brother Suspects in Wife's Disappearance
- Deputy Fatally Shot-Suspect
- Multi-County Burglary Suspects Arrested
- Jury Finds Hit-And-Run Suspect Guilty
- Acclaimed Film Director Tony Scott Commits Suicide
- Waldo Man Threatens to Commit Murder-Suicide