Chavez's execution date set
Gov. Rick Scott signed the death warrant for the man convicted of kidnapping, raping, and killing nine-year-old Jimmy Ryce nearly 20 years ago.
Juan Carlos Chavez,46, is scheduled to die by lethal injection on Feb. 12 at the Florida State Prison.
Ryce was abducted in 1995 after he was dropped off at his school bus stop in Miami-Dade County.
Chavez took the boy back to his trailer, raped him and eventually shot and killed him when he tried to escape.
Investigators found his body three months later stuffed in three planters filled with cement.
Florida lawmakers later passed the Jimmy Ryce act, which allows authorities to commit dangerous sexual predators to mental institutions once they have completed their prison terms.
- Date Set For Sentencing of Jerry Sandusky
- Jimmy Carter Focusing on China Relations
- Scott Resets Execution Date of Thomas Knight
- Satchel's Pizza Sets Reopen Date
- Florida AG Apologizes for Rescheduling Execution
- Anti-Death Penalty Supporters Remember Executed Man
- Child Killer Set to Be Executed
- Convicted Killer Set for Execution at Starke
- Carroll Set For Execution
- Paul Howell Set to be Executed