Former Florida Governor Reubin Askew Dead At 85
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Former Florida Gov. Reubin Askew has died at age 85 after recently suffering a stroke.
A former aide says Askew died at Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare early today while surrounded by family.
Askew rose from obscurity in the Florida Legislature to become the Democrats' surprise gubernatorial nominee in 1970 and then beat the incumbent Republican, Claude Kirk.
He guided the state through a period of school busing to achieve integration in the 1970s.
- Five Former Florida Governors Visit University of Florida
- Lopez-Cantera becomes Florida's First Hispanic Lieutenant Governor
- Lieutenant Governor of Florida
- Governor Announces 4.7% Drop In Crime Rate For 2013
- Governor Scott to Sue VA
- Venezuelan Protesters Ask Governor Scott For Help
- Sit In Inside of Governor Scott's Office
- Governor Scott's Response to Stand Your Ground Law
- Former Supreme Court Justice Visits North Central Florida
- Man Found Dead Behind His Farmhouse