Prosecutor Says Hakken May Be Faking Insanity
Prosecutors in Tampa made a potentially game-changing move Tuesday in the trial of the husband and wife accused of kidnapping their sons and sailing to Cuba last spring.
The state, which had earlier agreed to a ruling that Joshua Hakken was not fit to stand trial, now says the USF-educated engineer, whose delusions about the federal government allegedly led to the kidnapping in the first place, may be faking his insanity.
During a hearing to determine where Hakken would be sent for treatment, Assistant State Attorney Rita Peters told Circuit Judge Chet Tharpe, she can't abide by the earlier agreement.
Doctors concluded in January, Hakken wasn't fit to stand trial on charges that he and his wife, Sharyn, fled to Cuba with their two young sons in April.
Authorities said the Hakkens kidnapped their young sons from Sharyn Hakken's parents in north Tampa after they lost custody following run-ins with police in Louisiana.
The Hakkens sailed out of Madeira Beach to Cuba. they were later sent back to Tampa to face charges.
The couple will now be tried together beginning in mid June.
- Cuba To Turn Over Florida Couple And Children
- Kidnapping Parent Declared Insane
- Convicted Spy Wants to Go Home
- Zimmerman Prosecutor Says She Doesn't Read News
- Duclos Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity
- US Secretly Built Cuban Twitter to Stir Unrest
- Pope Visits Havana Cuba
- Man Says Devil Made Him Assault Girl According to Lake City Police
- Man Arrested For Fake 911 call
- Fake Money Arrest